Saturday, February 13, 2010

cappuccinos in passing

It's been a bit of a rough spot for blogging here recently, as one of the less kind souls amongst the UC Berkeley student population relieved me of my Samsung netbook computer--not a necessity for being a nomad, for sure, but definitely needed for chronicling that nomadicity on-the-go.

In the meantime, I've been making the trip back and forth to campus by foot on more than one occasion, picking up trash with my buddy Ray's trusty and not-yet-rusty Pikstik on more than one of those occasions, and planning my route carefully so that I'll be sure to pass by the Guerilla Cafe, mentioned first in this post.

And while I've been there, I've been struck at just how anti-nomadic a cafe it seems to be. That is, it seems to foster actual conversations and welcome pairs and groups of people rather than the laptop-bearing stragglers like me; and, being quite food-centric (while still, I think, offering wi-fi), there is a movement and a cycling to the sense of time there that might, it seems to me, make it hard to completely immerse, detach, submerge, en-void oneself in the world of the screen.

I say "there" since the bias written into this blog and the kind of cafe existence I lead 90% of the time push me in other directions. But I'd like to spend more time there, relaxing, eating, talking, and getting appraised of upcoming community events -- Mirrors in Every Corner, for example...

And, dang, they make a pretty mean (smooth, that is) cappuccino.

No comments:

Post a Comment